04 May 2011

For the tolls - because they don't let dump trucks on the FDR

Die Hard (today's recipe is from drinkspub.com.  All of this healthy eating is getting in the way of my mixology tasting)

2 oz Everclear® alcohol
1/2 oz vodka
2 oz grapefruit juice

Put your shakers away kids!  Stir all ingredients together in an old-fashioned glass 1/2 filled with ice cubes, and serve. (you can definitely tell that this wasn't my recipe.  The directions have no pizazz)


My first apartment was on the third floor of a beautiful brownstone.  Laundry was in the basement, and worked on an honor system - you drop a buck in a basket whenever you washed and dried.  Because of its' proximity I actually hated doing laundry and worked it out so that I'd only have to do it about 1-2 times a season.

I r e a l l y hated doing laundry. 

Then when I moved into the house, I bought a washer and dryer that made the task of laundry more convenient.  I returned to the land of "foundation garments" and all was well with the world.  When I moved to Chicago into the first condo, it came with one of those all in one washer/dryer dealies, so I sold my washer and dryer and went to town on the new one.

Now in my new place, I don't have a washer and dryer in my apartment, but it's literally right outside my rear entrance, so it sort of feels like it's in my unit. So much so, that I often run in and out of the laundry room in the buff to add bleach and/or retrieve a small load.  The other tenants have to enter from outside, so I'm really hoping that no one catches my early morning streaking.

This washer and dryer are coin operated - cheap, just a dollar - but it's quarters only.  This poses a problem for yours truly as I hardly ever have any cash on me, forget about case quarters (Case quarter.  That's old school speak right there).  So this morning I threw a load in while I performed my morning constitutional (hint: it ain't the walking one) and much to my surprise chagrin I didn't have enough quarters to dry my load.  I ended up laying everything flat around the apartment and over the shower door, but I also vowed not to deal with that foolishness again.

 
This is what fifty bucks worth of quarters looks like
I went into the bank and exchange 5 crisp10 dollar bills for my little jar of goodness and convenience.  I'm sure that teller wondered if I was planning on hauling gold from the Federal Reserve Bank in about 20 dump trucks, but she smiled as if she too had been at the laundromat without the necessary two bits.

Now on to the whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment