19 July 2009

The Impending 'Que

Bloody Alice (Mary's Sassy Older Sister)

~1/2 cup of tomato juice
~1 shot of citrus vodka (I prefer Ketel One Citroen for Bloody Mary's. Skyy Citrus is a little cloudy tasting and unnatural for this recipe, IMO - wait my opinion is the only one that matters here, lol )
~1/2 shot of red wine (preferably a zinfandel [RED zinfandel. Not that crappy white zin stuff], but shiraz also works well)
~1 teaspoon of lemon juice
~1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
~1/2 tsp of Tabasco sauce (if you like it spicier, add a full teaspoon and a few crushed red pepper flakes. Just remember that spicy food has to leave your body too...)
~dash of white pepper (black is fine, but the world is better with white pepper in it)
~an olive, a stalk of celery and a wedge of lemon for garnish

Put tomato juice, vodka, wine, lemon juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire and pepper in a highball glass over ice and stir. Garnish with celery stalk, olive and lemon wedge.

Enjoy!

It's another rainy day in my city. Actually, we just had torrential down pours for the second time this weekend. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was on a tropical isle somewhere in the middle of hurricane season. But know, I'm in the historical stinkbottom that is the illadelph.

I'm still waiting for summer to make an official announcement here. It's August and we've had maybe 5 hot days. It's all been rain and lukewarm weather. The only reason that I'm complaining is because unseasonal weather brings out the conspiracy theorist in me (you know the Russians are planting transmitters in our rain clouds, right? lol, j/k...or am I???)

So hopefully the weather will get itself together so that I can have my 'que. Every year I have an annual barbecue because I love love love to entertain. I usually have two grills (one for meat eaters and one for pescatarians like me), a slew of yummy sides, my personal dj (well he's not really just my dj, but I like to think that he is) and in addition to an arsenal of alcoholic choices, I always make a signature punch to match the theme of the 'que. Previous themes have been a "Let's Get Lei'd Party" (Hawaiian theme with a gang of "interestingly" coined drink mixes), a "Downtown Hoedown" (western theme - signature punch -Midnight Cowboy), and the year that I broke my laptop and lost ALL of my music files, I had a "Music Whore BBQ" where my guests brought music files on laptops, flash drives, cd's, etc to share and share alike. I think that was my favorite one (I ended up with so much new and old music, I could let it play for 290 days straight without repeating a song. And that's mostly Prince stuff, lol).

So while I've been pouting and pushing and prodding my landlord to get my yard together (I moved last year to a new spot where the yard is not 'que-ready), I'm trying to think of this year's theme, and most importantly the punch. I've already starting making an interesting light fixture (don't ask. Just know that it involves krazy glue, glass beads and small jars. I think I've accidentally huffed more of the glue than I used, but we'll see how it looks when I'm done ), but I have yet to be inspired. We'll see, but in the meantime, I'm open to suggestions. The LL who's also a friend tells me that I'll be able to entertain in the next few weeks, so hop to it folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment